Friday, July 26, 2013

matryoshka party - decor and a feature!

Today, Jaina's party is being featured on Hostess with the Mostess! They've graciously agreed to feature it in one of their weekly Party of Five posts. Pretty psyched about this! It's always nice to be recognized for your hard work. 

Click here to check it out!

I know it's been a while (over a month, whew!), but let's check out these party details.

The main decor inspiration came from all of Mom and Mimi’s vintage linens. These set that folksy tone I was after. 



I also used vintage cake stands for the desserts and these cute, old children’s chairs I have to set the drink dispensers on. 



I used lots of ribbon and ric-rac; from the drink tags around the jars to the ribbon tassel bunting I created for the pavilion and Jaina’s highchair. 


The cupcake toppers, favor bags, and invitations were made with kraft paper, rubber stamps, and black embossing powder. 



I also made matryoshka doll banners using black and white printouts of Jaina’s face and patterned paper. I got the idea from this adorable face banner on Pinterest. (My friend, Holly, from Curious Sprinkles, also made one way back for her son's first birthday. Super handsome.) 


I used several sets of matryoshka dolls as decoration. The boys especially liked the set of sailors and pirates. Jaina’s special present this year was a stuffed doll that I made. She was the star of the dessert table!


 Everyone loved the painted matryoshka cut-outs.


And the kiddos had fun hunting for these adorable matryoshka eggs.



There is no one photo that can adequately sum up how hilarious it is to try to get seven children five-and-under, holding bubbles, to pose for a picture, so here's a little montage. I should make a flip book of these.


The boys all got "Russian hats" (newsboy caps from Hobby Lobby), and the girls got babushkas (plain bandanas). I also found bubbles at the Dollar Store that looked an awful lot like nesting dolls.

The grown-ups got Russian Tea Cakes.


I put them in cellophane bags and stapled cute paper to the top. Totally my go-to wrapping choice from now on.

And you wanna know the coolest thing about this party? Not counting the items that I'll be using over and over for years to come (like the drink dispensers and jars), the decor and favors for this party only cost me $35. I'm not kidding. I used so much of what I already have that I only needed a few special items to bring it all together.

Check out more of the decor and Jaina's cute matryoshka outfit!

And check out my feature on Hostess with the Mostess! Woohoo!


Vendor Credits


Party Styling: Kara of Kara’s Domestic Life
Photography: Faith Scheuerman
Cheesecakes: Carol Scheuerman
Linens: vintage
Fonts for invites and signs: Free Fonts for KevinandAmanda.com
Drink dispensers: Target
Stamps: Hero Arts from A.C. Moore
Candy melts and lollipop sticks: A.C. Moore
Kerchiefs, newsboy caps, patterned paper, cellophane bags: Hobby Lobby
Fabric for matryoshka outfit and invites: Joann Fabrics
Mason jars: Walmart
Matryoshka doll pattern: Sew Daily Shop on Interweave Store
Bubbles, plates, napkins: The Dollar Store
 

4 comments:

  1. the envelope stamps are amazing. this whole party is incredible, and a huge congrats on your party feature!!! :D So exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being featured on Hostess with the Mostess!! (and thanks for the shout-out!)

    Jaina's party was adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. It's such a unique theme. And your take on the birthday banner I made is awesome! I really like the Easter eggs as matryoshka dolls. How long did it take you to sharpie all of those on?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The eggs were one project I sent to my artist sister. She has a much steadier hand than I.

      Your face banner is the cutest! Thanks for thinking it up!

      Delete