Wednesday, January 30, 2013

weird likes and dislikes

Have you ever seen Amelie? It's a French movie, and I suppose it's about a girl finding love, but the movie is spent peeking into neighbors' lives.



Every time a new character is introduced you find out all of their intimate likes and dislikes. The narrator tells us Amelie's father likes peeling large strips of wallpaper, lining up and shining his shoes, and emptying out his tool box, cleaning it out, and putting everything back. Her mother hates "pruney" fingers and pillow marks on her face in the morning. Amelie says, "I hate the way drivers never look at the road in old American movies." Some of her favorite things include plunging her hand deep into a bag of grain, cracking the top of creme brulee, and skipping stones on the Canal St-Martin.

There are certain tiny things in this life that give me a disproportionate amount of happiness. One of them is warm copies. I love picking up a stack of paper from the printer or, even better, an industrial photocopier and just feeling the heat soak into my hands. Sometimes after making copies in college I would put the whole stack inside my coat before running out into the West Michigan snow.

I have to have the first sip out of a soda can. And when I say soda, I mean only Diet Coke. I have an amazing husband who even lets me have the first sip out of his can cause he know how much I like it. ; )

It's weird, but I love taking my hair down after a long day. You know, that tingly feeling when all the hair follicles bend back to their correct location? Most people hate it. Not me.

Here are some things I don't like: clanging pots and pans (instant. rage.), being disturbed in the shower, and when foods come in odd amounts. And I mean odd as in not even.

This one may take some explaining. To the casual observer I probably appear to be a sane eater, but if you only knew the strategizing that goes on in my crazy little head. "Bites" have to come in equal amounts, one for each side of my mouth. When I'm eating pasta, if one side gets two pieces of penne, a piece of asparagus, and sausage, then the other side has to get the exact same thing. Pancakes and French toast have to be cut into even amounts to facilitate the equal bite dilemma. Chex mix requires intense concentration. So when I get a plate at a restaurant that only has five shrimp it really bugs me.

Rounding out my dislikes are diaper cakes (you have to be a frequent baby shower attendee to know about these monstrosities) and voicemails, both leaving them and listening to them. Just text me if I'm not answering. Don't waste 10 minutes of my life.

What are some of your weird likes/dislikes?


1 comment:

  1. I love this post immensely. Love the like/dislike part of Amelie and love your answers - I too, do the "equal chewing" but only when it's something that I'm worried will give half of my jaw too much of a work out while not working out the other half (like a TON of gum or something).

    This website is full of people's favorite little things:http://justlittlethings.net/

    It makes me both happy and sad to share so many of them with other people.

    ReplyDelete